Friday, November 14, 2008

day 13 - on gratitude and being blessed

being a Simple Abundance devotee, gratitude is something I know about. But do I feel gratitude as often as I could? No. Do I find five things to be grateful for each day? No. Even though I went out last week and bought myself a gorgeous new journal to be my Gratitude Journal, it sits waiting on the table, to be opened and used. Today is the day that I will start to remember all those things in my life to be grateful for..... and blessed? Oh yes. I am so blessed in life, I know. I don't have to worry about where my next meal is coming from. I have a gorgeous home that I love. A man who is my best friend
and I know I am blessed when I see this kind of thing every day:


I mean, who could not but help feel gratitude when they have a garden like this.. yes, I am blessed.

I have more to be grateful for too: birds singing in my garden, my pond, being able to walk in Katoomba, one of the most gorgeous areas one Earth, right on my doorstep. My local organic food co-op. Blogging friends who have stuck by me through my spritual journey, through the dark days of my soul..there are so many more... I am indeed a blessed woman...

and of course I have some that I am not so grateful for:

Hayfever - doesn't matter how much I try, I can't find a positive for this unless of course I count all the research that I do in alternative medicine to find a cure...

Lack of sleep.. thinking, thinking, thinkin.. no definately no positive thing I can find for that. There just is not one...

and the death of Daisy before I got to meet her.. I will never find a positive.. although her death threw me into a whirlpool of grief where I had to claw my way out..discovering parts of me I didn't know existed..

Oh lord - look in the mirror? geez. how hard is this?? All I see are the dark circles under my eyes and I start to judge. I feel like an absolute dill when I do this. But I will try. I will look past the physical and look deep into my eyes, to who I really am. And I will say - I love you...

Each morning when i go outside to greet the new day, I look around my garden and sigh with absolute pure pleasure - yes, I am blessed and I am grateful

20 comments:

Claudia said...

Look at that beautiful garden...you have a vege co-op near you?!...I sooo miss the Blue Mountains.

Anonymous said...

Those are some amazing blessing that you shared. Thank you for allowing each of us to share in it a little bit, too. That journal awaits to be filled and I know you can do it in no time flat!
Peace and Blessings to you and your family~
Dawn

Everydaythings said...

pleAse do NOT mention hayfever!! Mine is awful and it wakes me up in the middle of the night too to sneeze and suffer!

I like your post today it sounds so positive!

Genie Sea said...

I am grateful for your blessings. :)
Your garden is a haven. Is heaven.
I am blessed to have met you! :)

amelia said...

We all have much to be grateful for but often don't give thanks.

Is that rhubarb I see in your garden? What a beautiful, peaceful place it is..

Paula - Buenos Aires said...

What a beautiful garden! Thanks for sharing. :)

Lisa said...

Oh you messed me up! I'm supposed to be focusing on gratitude, and now all I can think of is how I envy you that garden! Not fair!! I want to come sit there too.

Suzie Ridler said...

You are blessed Robyn! And we are for knowing you. I envy that garden. You make me want to make changes to my life and green space. Next spring perhaps. How was your moon water? I must spend time being grateful today, what a lovely way to spend the day.

TheModernGoddess said...

What blessings! Your garden is gorgeous. Even though you have hayfever, you can be grateful for your nose and all that it does for you. Enjoy writing in your new journal. Blessings, Nicole x
http://themoderngoddess.wordpress.com/

Aurora said...

wow! beautiful garden--what a blessing!

Caroline said...

I am grateful for your post today...a reminder of how blessed we all are...in our own personal ways. Your garden is bliss :)

Serena Lewis said...

I guess you could say I'm a Simple Abundance devotee ever since I read it years ago. I love keeping a 'gratitude' journal as it really does make me appreciate what we would normally take for granted. Eckhart's books re-emphasise the importance of being thankful and always acting for the good of all.

You ARE blessed! What a beautiful garden, no wonder you enjoy your time there.

As Eckhart says, there will be things in our lives that we have no control over, such as your hayfever...we must accept what is and, from there, always try to act from a place of consciousness and stillness. I guess, if the hayfever gets you down, you could try to not allow the hayfever to make you cranky or frustrated etc.?

Another perspective on how you could look at it would be like that verse that says, "I cried because I had no shoes, until I saw a man with no feet."

love, light and peace,
serena

peppylady (Dora) said...

I'm general a grateful person but last Wednesday I have no ideal what happen I wasn't grateful for anything actual I was in a pissy mood.
So if we grateful for few things majority of time.
We pretty well got it.

Coffee is on.

Mjfontaine said...

I want to start a food co-op too lovely post of gratitude.

Pen said...

oh my gosh, your garden is magical! a true blessing.
as is the ability to see all the beauty around and in you... sometimes easier said than done, but which you do beautifully.

Mjfontaine said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
gma said...

Robyn you are a blessing to me. So glad we are doing this Soul Coaching together....all the woman in this circle are kind and some very enlightened souls here. Lots of blessings for sure!!!!!
Your garden is so lovely...I know why fairies live there.

Unknown said...

Your garden is magical. I can feel it's beauty. I would love to come and sit in your garden.

Jamie Ridler said...

You're garden is so beautiful, a reflection of the gardener :)

meghan said...

There is a real feeling of magic in that garden - I know lots of people have already commented on that - but it's true.

I HEAR YOU about the simple abundance gratitude thing. I have a journal with about 8 days in it - I think it's time to leap back in and remember what I am grateful for - thank you!!!!!